Coat Making - Vogue 1473 Part 4

I've got a surprising amount of coat making done this weekend!
I planned to do a bit of preparation work during the week so that I could get sewing straight away this weekend and it kind of went to plan!
Monday- 30 minutes
Sewed the backing on to both gusset and both under sleeve pieces. Sewed the centre line on right front piece.
Tuesday- none
Wednesday- 20 minutes
Finished backing right front, sewed centre line on left front
Thursday- 40 minutes
Finished left front, completed backing one crazy sleeve piece.
This left me with just one piece to back on Saturday.
I did a bit of experimenting and found a size 100 needle worked best, with a stitch length of 2.8mm and I played around using a walking foot.  When I bought my sewing machine it came with a free quilting accessory kit.  The only two accessories I have used so far are extension table (useful when I'm sewing bigger garments) and the 1/4" seam foot (so handy when stitching 1/4" from the edge is required).  The walking foot has turned out to be amazing, I would never have been able to get the bulky seams through so smoothly without it.
I've now completed the outer shell bar hemming.  Everything went relatively smoothly in part due to the practice making the toile.  I mean there are wonky bits (the top stitching could be more even and the under arm gussets aren't perfect) but I don't think any one will be able to tell unless I point them out.
The only hiccup was when the tension suddenly went haywire during top stitching the back yoke bending my needle (my only size 100 needle - after 4pm on a Sunday).  I think this was due to the bobbin running low on thread as when I refilled it and tried again (with a size 90 needle) it was fine.
The fusible canvas has given a nice sturdy feel to the facings, no stiffness, they are sort of spongy almost.
I now need to hem the coat and sleeves, cut the lining, sew and attach the lining (I went with a nice paisley design) and then attach the snaps.
"It looks like a coat" said Mr B.
(Its got to the time of year when the light fades really early so low quality photos form here on!)

Comments

Popular Posts