Sunday, 10 June 2012

Vintage Simplicity 2109 Top

My first vintage pattern make is complete!
Although I seriously admire people who go the whole mile with their vintage look I don't think I can carry it off. With this in mind I thought I'd adapt my vintage pattern to make it a bit more wearable.



The thing I really fell in love with from the Simplicity 2109 pattern was the scalloped neckline so I've kept that and instead of the full skirt used the bottom of Butterick B5450 that I made in the past to make a tunic top.







The vintage pattern is a size 11 (bust 31.5") which I thought might be too small but when I measured the pattern pieces it seemed that it might be fine.  So I cut the bodice and midriff out, making no adjustments (this was before I'd totally settled on the tunic top idea) and sewed it up.
The bodice was perfect size - what luck! In hindsight adjusting all the scallops might have been a bit much for me.  The midriff was far too tight but reminded me of the Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 2281 which I made recently so I though I might put the skirt from that with it.  In the end though it was my never ending struggle to find fabric that dictated the choice.  Fortunately someone off of ebay sent me some coral linen style fabric -  'That was lucky' said Mr B.
So here it is...

(weather is not nearly as nice as when I started this project)
Pretty pleased with end result.  I've never done scallops before or vintage sewing but I would totally do either again.