Saturday, 27 July 2013

Dining Al Fresco Dress

I've finished Vogue 1353 just in time, Mr B and I are heading off on holiday on Tuesday! Progress has been slightly slowed by the hot weather.

I did a lot of tacking on this one, marking the pleats with tailor tacks, tacking the pleats and then there was decorative hem stitching to finish off.  I'm not normally a massive fan of hand sewing but I've found it quite satisfying.
I cut a size 8 at the top and graded out to a 10 waist and hips and it fits well (the shoulders are a tiny bit wide but I don't think it's that noticeable).  The bodice is actually quite short, I don't normally have any issues with length, and if I were to make it again I'd definitely lengthen it by a couple of inches.

I was a bit worried about the pleats coming so close to the zip but through a slight misfolding there is actually about a quarter of an inch between the pleat and the zip so no problems there.

I decided to follow the pattern and do the hem facing because 1) hemming is my least favourite bit and I thought it would make a change and 2) the fabric I used is really lightweight so the facing helps it hang better.  I'm pleased with the effect, my stitches may leave a little to be desired but it unless you are examining it in great detail you won't notice the unevenness.

Hopefully my mother will be pleased because the inside also looks neat!

Let's just hope the weather stays good!

Sunday, 14 July 2013

Explorer Skirt

I finished the skirt from Vogue 1357 last weekend but rather selfishly Mr B went off to Sorrento with his camera so I've been waiting to get pictures taken.
"I think you'd really like Capri" said Mr B.
I'm sure I would...
Anyway I'm calling this my explorer skirt because I've made it for our summer holiday, I think it will be practical and cool for wandering around new places in.
I've made it up in navy linen with a polycotton lining.

It made up really easily and the most amazing thing was that I cut out a straight size 12 and the waist fits perfectly.  The only slight issue was that somehow the lining was about an inch smaller than the outside so I've had to fiddle things about the zip a little to make it fit together - don't know how that happened at all.
The envelope doesn't give any fabric suggestions for the skirt, I'm glad I've used polycotton for the lining as the linen is very soft and it it needs a bit of body I think.
A couple more pictures below...

To make the hem of the front insert look in line with the rest of the front I had to curve it up significantly towards the centre.

It may just be my behind but the hem across the back seems to curve really nicely - it looks straight on the envelope.
I'll definitely make this skirt again - I'm toying with the idea of a contrast insert.
I've already cut out my next make, Vogue 1353, so hopefully more sewing soon!