Coat Making - Vogue 1473 Part 3

Again, virtually no coat making has happened.
I wasn't feeling great last weekend and got worse as Monday and Tuesday wore on.  A visit to the doctor's on Tuesday evening came with a diagnosis of either tonsillitis or glandular fever and a suggestion that perhaps I should stay off work.  Fortunately blood tests have shown that its not glandular fever and antibiotics seem to be making a difference.  I spent the rest of the week sleeping, watching murder mysteries and looking at the fabric for my coat which had been sat there since it arrived. I am not good at being ill, there have been tears, mainly of frustration, on several occasions.
The fabric which I had originally decided upon went out of stock but its virtually identical to the replacement.  Apparently it has a bit of stretch but I can't feel it.  My original sample is on top and my fabric is underneath.
Grey is not the most exciting colour to take pictures of but it will be practical for a coat!
Yesterday I was feeling a little better so I cut the pieces out, it took most of the day.  I wasn't sure which was the right side of the fabric but my father, who worked in the textile industry, told me years ago that the holes in the selvage would be bumpy on the right side so I went with that. Or at least I think he did, I should probably check with him as its a useful rule. I know it doesn't really matter if you can't tell and I've made sure to chalk mark the 'wrong' sides so I don't get muddled.
Today I've sewn the backing to two of my pieces.  When I made my Yves Saint Laurent jacket I machine stitched the backing to the fashion fabric but some of the pieces distorted a little so I'm doing it by hand this time.  I've stabbed myself three times so far.
This is going to be a slow process.
I'm going to try and do half an hour every evening this week, then hopefully all the pieces will be ready for next weekend. I'm not going to get it finished by half term as I originally planned.
I need to order some lining fabric and buy thread, top stitching thread and some new needles for my machine. And maybe some new pins.
If you've got any coat making tips please do let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts