Couture Christmas Fairy

Next weekend Mr B and I will be putting up our Christmas tree.  Last year we went without a topper for it as we I couldn't find anything that I liked.  So this year I decided to make a fairy for the top of the tree.  Or at least that was the original plan, now she'll be more of a Parisienne gown wearing model!
I bought a Barbie-esque doll from B&M and then looked for a dowloadable dress pattern and found this...

Pattern: Vintage Barbie 'In Paris' - Doll Clothing

...on Etsy. Vintage Barbie in Paris! Only £1.96 to download.
So I've decided to make View B (the pink one) a 'Dior Taffeta Ball Gown'.
The instructions aren't as perfectly clear as they could be and I don't know how my doll's proportions compare to vintage Barbie's so I have made a trial version.


It isn't finished at all, just pinned down the back, but its given me a good idea of how the fabric layers work.  I can deal with any differences in proportions by taking the dress in at the back.

 
I didn't transfer the pattern markings so nothing lines up at the front and my fabric was a little too thick for working on such a small scale.
I'm now ready for my tree worthy version using scraps left over from other projects.

Comments

Popular Posts