Rachel Comey Jumpsuit - Vogue 1645

This was a tricky one! Worth it in the end but so frustrating...
"I think it would look good with some white trainers" suggested Mr B.
I don't have any white trainers, so silver will have to do.
I'm really pleased with the end result, I've never worn a jumpsuit before certainly never sewn one.
I love the Vogue Rachel Comey designs and have made a few, they have interesting design details that set them apart.
I made a quick toile that confirmed sizing (small at the bust through to medium at the hips) and the need to scoop out the back crotch curve even more than I had done.
I noticed when making the toile that one of the inseam notches is marked in the wrong place (I can't remember which one) which is unusual for a Vogue pattern.  This was easily fixed but just the beginning of a whole load of mistakes and omissions in the pattern. I've included as many as possible in my review on Pattern Review.
What was already "advanced/plus difficile" became a major headache.  I've seen other people's versions of this pattern around but no-one else seems to mention this or the fact that there is no way to sensibly finish the zip off.
Dark navy isn't the best for photos!
I was aiming for a really good finish on this garment and used a mixture of the suggested bias binding and turning seam allowances under.  I think its ended up ok but the fabric I used was a little too thick to be bound easily and towards the end I just wanted to be done with it so it got a little sloppy.
I love the end result and I may make another in a couple of years time, maybe in a lighter weight fabric (do not attempt this in denim as suggested on the pattern envelope!).  I've seen a similar design, McCall's 7953, which has sleeves that I may try.  Have you made any Rachel Comey patterns or jumpsuits?  Any recommendations?

Comments

Popular Posts