Butterick 5314





A while ago I came across this dress on pinterest.

Simply Broderie Anglaise dress with subtle colour belt
Boden.co.uk via Pinterest
Its not a current season dress (at least I can't find it) and being white its totally impractical (at least for me) and I never buy full price clothes from expensive brands but I really like it.
I knew I had a similar pattern somewhere.  After a very enjoyable half hour rummage through my pattern stash - I really need to get organised - I found the one I was looking for (and a number of others I'd forgotten about!).

B5314

Butterick 5314 (which I think is out of print now), view C without the V. I think I bought this about 5 years ago but only used the bodice from view A/B - I don't remember what attracted me to it in the first place.
I purchased some navy broderie anglais from ebay and other supplies from Boyes and off I went.
I wouldn't say it was "fast" but it was definitely straight forward and I slowed myself down by having to underline my fabric.
I didn't really alter the pattern at all, apart from omitting the V (again) at the neck, I'm really not convinced that this would look good on me.  I cut an 8 at the shoulders, a 10 bust, 12 waist and 14 hip and I'm pretty pleased with the fit.  It is a little strange at the hip which I think might be because the widest part of my hips seems to be a lot lower than the hip line on patterns so I think I'm grading out too fast, maybe? I think that's something that only I will notice though (hopefully). Any advice on this would be welcomed.
So here it is.


I think its a good copy.


My fabric didn't have a nice border so I just turned under a tiny hem.


And I don't have to wear a belt because I've actually matched the darts up perfectly for once.


Mr B thinks the number of navy dresses I own is a bit excessive but I think its a very flattering colour!
Hopefully it will be perfect for our up coming holiday!


Comments

Popular Posts