Vogue 1303 Toile

After finishing my previous project I found that I couldn't decide what to do next.  I'm always full of ideas and never have enough time or resources to get them all done.  So instead of getting on with something I avoided making decisions by reading some murder mysteries.  Then a chance comment from Mr B - "You could wear a dress when we go to the theatre" made the way forward clear.
So I've started making Vogue 1303 out of some lovely Liberty Tana Lawn (I love that stuff sooo much).

V1303

I bought two metres of Alexandra purely because it shares my name - who can resist something like that.


Hopefully this sewing pattern will let the jewel print sparkle (ha ha).
I've made three Kay Unger patterns before and had severe fit issues with the first one and made a bit of an assembly error with the second.  Both dresses are lovely though (even if I do say so myself).  The third went together more smoothly but I think this is because of the fuller skirt.
On the left V1241, centre V1271 (now out of print) and left V1353.

            

So I'm not leaving anything to chance as I can't find this fabric online anymore (I do keep looking because I kind of wish I'd bought other colour ways as well).
According to the size chart I'm a 10 bust, 12 waist and somewhere between a 14 and 16 hip - I'm completely over ridiculous Vogue sizing that isn't even consistent from pattern to pattern.
Checking the finished garment measurements I reckoned more like 8, 12, 16 (which at least is a nice arithmetic sequence but a bit extreme).  So I cut the lining pieces out of an old sheet, sewed it together and tried it on.
I'm not showing photos of this.  No one needs to see. But here is Dolly modelling.


With a little bit of pinning help from Mr B I found that the bust is a tiny bit big but can be fixed by taking in the very top of the side seams.  The waist is perfect.  The hip area was weirdly shaped because of my inept grading and needed taking in to about the size 14 and smoothing out.
I think the dress will go together really quickly, the toile only took about half an hour to put together.
Next job I think will be to make the lining to the new measurements - just in case more major adjustments are needed.
Oh and I need to make it about 4" longer as I'm becoming more and more uncomfortable about showing my knees!

Comments

  1. I'm sewing this now and I cannot get the middle front to match up with the stay (the middle front is much bigger with the fold lines). Did you fold the middlefront before you sewed the stay to the middle front?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sewing this now and I cannot get the middle front to match up with the stay (the middle front is much bigger with the fold lines). Did you fold the middlefront before you sewed the stay to the middle front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! You do make the pleats in the middle front before sewing it to the stay, the pieces will then be the same size. Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts