Vintage Vogue 2883 - Part 2
So I've been making my way through my lovely vintage pattern project and I have to say it's all going smoothly but very slowly.
The pattern called for sew in interfacing for the waist and neck bands and I debated whether to go down this route or just to use the fusible interfacing I already had in for a good while. In the end I decided that I should try and follow the instructions to the letter as long as it doesn't put me massively out of pocket. And I'm so glad I did!
I'm not sure what my fabric is (apart from synthetic) but it is so so fluid and when I laid it against the interfacing for the waist band there was no way I could get them to match - a combination of being slightly out in my cutting and shape shifting fabric! This would have been problematic with fusible interfacing but I managed to get round it by doing this...
The photo isn't great but you can just make out the difference between the purple fabric and the white interfacing and my many many tacking stitches. I'm so glad I didn't trim the seam allowances of the interfacing before putting it together as suggested.
Then I discovered that I needed to stay the seam allowances with seam binding which I didn't have because I hadn't read the pattern envelope properly (again).
I've never used seam binding before (I either miss it out or use bias binding) and I had no idea where to get it from so I ended up buying some rayon ribbon off of eBay and waiting. Patiently.
I'm glad I waited. I couldn't find purple so I went with "sun rose".
Without realising it I'd bought a perfect match for the thread I always use for tacking. I've had the reel a long time, and my mother must have had a long time before she gave it to me. I'm not sure what I'll do when it runs out but I don't think that will happen any time soon!
Anyway, all this stuff will be hidden away or removed once I'm finished but I still find it very pleasing!
And my dress is beginning to look like a dress.
All the effort with the waist band seems to have paid off!