Vintage Vogue 2883 - Part 1

I've started my next sewing project and have been quietly getting on with it (slowly) for the last week or so. Last summer I totally struck it lucky on Chester-le-Street market and found this...


...for £1!  And wasn't the end of it - its my size too! Hurrah!
I had vaguely heard of Jean Muir but didn't know anything about her.  According to the envelope "JEAN MUIR - a petite lady whose soft lines and fluid structuring provide the perfect answer for the woman of instinctive fashion sense.  A traditional look combining high-style and relaxed elegance."
I'm guessing the pattern dates from the mid to late 1970s but I'll have to look in to that further.
I'm trying to stick to the construction exactly as instructed which involves a couple of things I've not done before - sew in interfacing, lots of top-stitching, pockets and a hand sewn zip.
Having said above that its my size isn't quite true however.  The bust is the right size and the skirt is so full that the hips won't be a problem but the waist needed increasing by about an inch and a half.  I wasn't sure how to go about this as the waist band is one curved piece.  So I traced it,



cut into it four times, spaced it out by 3/8"


and retraced it, transferring all the markings.  I don't know if I've over complicated matters but the result is a waist band that fits me and I think the gathers in the top and skirt will be quite forgiving of my alterations.
So far I've made it to the end of step 8 on the instructions.


Cutting out took about two hours (I seem to be incredibly slow) and the hem on the first sleeve took nearly two hours as well, I did manage to speed up significantly for the second one. I'm making sure I do all the tacking recommended (I normally skip a fair bit) which is helping my keep control of the fabric.
I'm surprised by the amount of detail printed on the pattern pieces. Lovely icons, seam lines marked and numbers to help match pieces!


So, so far so good.  I tried taking photos of progress so far but its such a horrible day and the dress is quite at a stage where it looks like a dress yet.

Comments

  1. I love those sleeves and this dress will be fab when done. I am ever so glad there is someone else 'out there' who takes time to cut things out etc, though my sewing projects are a lot simpler than yours! Here's to making haste slowly lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts