Crazy Crocodile Coat - Burda Style August 2014 128

I had a strong vision for a spring coat, I wanted it to be bright, and sort of tailored in a relaxed kind of way.  I found the fabric pretty quickly, a wax print bought from eBay, but I found the pattern harder to find.  I wanted it to have a notched collar, collarless coats aren't my favourite, not many seamlines and a masculine-ish look.
I ended up finding Burda Style August 2014 128. I could have bought the pdf but I can't bring myself to tape AND trace, fortunately for me I found the magazine on eBay (a lot of my time is spent on eBay).
It is sized for tall people, I'm definitely regular height - bang on 5'6" - so I took the time to shorten it using a guide in another issue of the magazine.
I haven't been sewing Burda Style for very long, my first make was this time last year, and I haven't been very good at recording my sizing choices but it seems that a 36 bust blended out to 38 at the waist and hip is fine if the style is semi fitted (this meant a 72 - 76 in tall).
Obviously the Burda instructions are concise and probably not the best for a first attempt at a notched collar but I found it I just took it half a sentence at a time, not worrying too much about what was going to happen next, it came together fine.
"You know what Patrick Grant would do?" said Mr B inspecting progress one evening.
My husband has learnt to check the width of the lapels from Sewing Bee - I passed, he thinks he is so funny. My pattern matching also passed muster! The pattern calls for snap fasteners but I decided it was unlikely that I would wear it closed so didn't bother with them, I also missed out the top stitching on the pockets.
It was actually the back vent that caused me to do more head scratching.  No pattern matching round the back, I didn't have enough fabric.
So when I'm back at work, on break duty, checking lanyards as students come on site, no one is going to miss me!
"It's very Prue Leith" said my sister, you never know whether she is complimenting you or not.

Comments

Popular Posts