My First Burda Style

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, on a whim I bought the April issue of Burda Style magazine.  Since then I've been getting lost in #burdastyle on instagram.
Those crazy pattern sheets are a bit daunting but I thought I'd better dive right in or else it would just hang around in the craft room waiting.
I picked blouse 105 as I wasn't sure about fit and wanted to concentrate on the sewing process.
The tracing and adding seam allowances took me an hour in total - loads quicker than I'd thought.
I traced the smallest size (36) for this pattern, which matches my bust size, checked the shoulder width and sleeve length against the alterations I'd just made on Vogue 8927 (they seemed very similar) and then went straight ahead.
I'd seen this Lady McElroy Crowded Faces fabric a few times and Minerva Crafts were having a sale so I had bought 2 metres (slightly less than Burda specify) with nothing particular in mind.  I think it looks very striking.
Burda instructions are very sparse but having made a few blouses recently I was able to put it together relatively easily.  The only thing that wasn't quite right was the cuffs.  I couldn't figure out which way up they went and why they were wider at one end than the other (neither matched the sleeve).  They function fine though.
My mother was very sceptical when I mentioned that it closes with poppers rather than buttons, I think she's imagining it bursting open at an inopportune moment.  But it will be much easier when I need to change into being a superhero.
Putting poppers on does double the amount of hand sewing though.  If I made it again I'd convert it to a hidden button placket I think to get the same effect.
I'm calling my first foray in to Burda magazine a success and have a couple of patterns in mind for future makes!

Comments

Popular Posts