Birthday (Blouse) Preparations

I'm going make a shirt for my birthday (in ten days time), I very impulsively bought 1.5m of Vivienne Westwood cotton shirting and wanted to get sewing straight away.
I don't normally buy fabric with out contemplating it for a while, patterns are a different story, but I hadn't seen anything like it before. - I'm having trouble getting the colour to come out well in photos.
I thought it would work well as a plain shirt so I bought Vogue 8927 which has nothing fancy on it, just bust darts.
I made a toile because the fabric is so unique I didn't want to waste it and I'm glad I did!  I cut view B in a size 10 and did a narrow shoulder adjustment in addition to using the hem shaping from the longer views (this made the length too long).  The sleeves are ridiculously long, I'm having to shorten them by 2 inches.  I had the same issue with Vogue 9029 but didn't make a toile so I'm stuck with them on my Alexa Chung inspired blouse. It was also a little snug around the hips, I'm nowhere near a size 10 hips but was hoping the loose fit would cover it, so I've blended out to a size 12.  In addition I've moved the bust dart up half an inch.  I think I'm getting really fussy about fit!
All these alterations are now done and the pieces are cut out so I'm hoping to get it done bit by bit in the evenings this week.
In other news I bought a copy of Burda Style magazine and I really like a lot of the patterns. I've never bought a copy in this country before (very occasionally I buy them as holiday souvenirs).
I've only traced a pattern from a magazine once before (from Sew Hip magazine a very long time ago) but I'm really excited to have a go, just need to decide on the pattern...
Is there anything I should know before I have a go?

Comments

Popular Posts