Coat Making - Vogue 1473 Part 1

I've wanted to make a coat for a few years but hadn't ever quite got everything together.  After buying 3 or 4 patterns I finally settled on Vogue 1473 a Vogue Couturier Federico Forquet pattern.
I was attracted to the shaped seam detail and I enjoy using vintage vogue patterns, they usually include construction details that you don't see in other patterns.  I purchased the pattern last year via the Vintage Pattern shop on eBay but bought it too late to get it made for the cold weather.  I'm hoping to get this done for October half term.
I've started by making a toile to check the style and fit (and to see if I'm capable of sewing those crazy curves smoothly).
It has come together nicely, the pattern is a 32" bust which is about right but 34" hip - way smaller than mine.  Fortunately due to the loose fit of the coat the fit is fine.
The designed length swamps me though - Mr B described it as "some kind of weird lab coat".  I don't normally wear long coats or heels so it feels way too much. I've decided to lose 7 inches off the length, it feels much more wearable.
The design has underarm gussets which is a feature I've never sewn before.  I'm glad I had a practice as I misread the instructions when I put the first one in, the second side went in much more easily.
Strangely there are no pockets! I'm not as bothered about this as some people might be, I usually only stuff a tissue in my pocket anyway.  I don't think it would be too big a job to add them in to the side seams but I'm not sure whether its worth the hassle.
I'm thinking about using this polyester viscose blend coating in grey from Minerva and I'm planning on hunting down some crazy lining fabric but I'm not sure what to use as 'backing'.  This seems to be underlining as far as I can tell from the instructions, I used polycotton for my YSL jacket but I wonder whether something like a cotton flannel (like a bed sheet) might be better?  Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

  1. That's going to be a beautiful coat - timeless but right on trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -I’m really excited to get started properly!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts