Simplicity Mash Up

Wow - April's nearly done!  My craft room is fully decorated so I'm sewing again, hooray!
Everything I've sewn recently seems to have been shiny or stretchy so I decided to make a quick top from some cotton fabric I've had for a while.
The top is a mash up of Simplicity 2599, which I made last summer, and 2253 which I made for a ball a couple of years ago. View A/B top base from 2599 and the shoulder ruffle from 2253.
Last time I made the top I found the bust dart to be a bit on the low side so I re-drew the front piece with it moved up about an inch and a half.  I was really pleased because I got the whole thing cut from a metre.

It was lovely to work with fabric that doesn't stretch or move so my finishing is a lot better than normal.

"Are those french seams in the sleeves?" says Mr B.
"Why, yes they are" says me.
Somebody's been watching Great British Sewing Bee!

The fabric is much nicer in real life than the photos show (the sun is not shining yet again), it has got gold thread through it.  I haven't permanently attached the ruffle because I'm not sure how it will stand up to washing and ironing.  I am totally into covered buttons at the moment so I put three on.
The bust darts are now in a much better position and there seems to be endless possibilities to vary the top so I'm already thinking about making it again...


  1. I love that ruffle so I hope it does wash n wear well. And the sun should be shining soon as it is now nearly into winter hiding mode on my side of the world!

  2. Wow, I adore that ruffle and the Swiss dot fabric.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts