Notes - Black Lives Matter

I don't normally talk about non-sewing stuff here but after talking about the Corona Virus Pandemic it feels right that I address the events that have unfolded since the murder of George Floyd in the USA.
As a white, middle class, woman I'm aware that I have many privileges not afforded to those who don't share my social class and skin colour.  I've always gone through life thinking that if I do no harm, be nice, be non-racist, then that is a good thing - all that needs to be done.
The events that of the past few days have made me question that.
Over the week I've taken the time to read, listen and educate myself and think how I can educate others (particularly in my role as a Maths teacher); to consider who I follow and buy from; to sign petitions and to email Gavin Williamson (Secretary of State for Education) and my MP to ask that Black Histories are included on the National Curriculum (there's a template here but it is worth modifying in case it is treated as spam).
This has played on my mind, I can't imagine what it must be like to have lived with this all your life.

Best wishes.

Comments

Popular Posts