Trousers! Part 2

I've made a pair of trousers and they are okay.
I know I can improve on them but I'm definitely getting there, they fit better than any ready to wear pair I've had.
After lots of muslining (you can read about this stage here) I went ahead and made Vogue 1560.
They fit at the waist, which feels a bit strange, and don't feel too tight around my bottom.

I'm really pleased with the finish, the fly went in well and the waistband looks professional.
I used one of Mr B's old ties as the bias fabric.  I can't bear to cut up fabric on the bias for the sake of one strip, it seems so wasteful.  Old ties are the perfect solution, just unpick them, iron them flat and cut them into strips.
So on to the things I'm not so keen on.
The fit on the legs is not as slim as I'd like, and certainly not as slim as the pattern envelope would suggest.
The pattern is drafted so that you ease the waist in to the waistband and this creates an excess of fabric that looks puffy.  I didn't make any adjustments to the front and this problem is present there too so I know this is, to some extent at least, a problem with the pattern rather than my alterations.
I wish the waistband was a bit wider, I should have picked this up at the muslin stage but somehow didn't notice.
And lastly there aren't any pockets, I knew this before I started.  I know some people might be horrified but I'm not really that bothered from a practical point of view but the trousers do look really plain without them.
So overall I'm happy that I'm making progress, I'll definitely wear these for work (I never tuck tops in so the puffiness will be hidden) and I know what to look out for in a new pattern.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts