Oscar De La Renta Dress - Vogue 2424

"You won't make it look like a sleeping bag, will you?" said Mr B with concern.
"Er, no?" I replied.
To be fair he doesn't even remember saying it now.  The pattern in question was Vogue American Designer Oscar De La Renta 2424.
As far as I can tell it is from 1980, like me, but I can't find much mention of it on the interweb.  I bought it for £4 after being attracted by the pleats at the back.
I had some viscose challis, originally bought from Minerva Crafts with something else in mind, that I thought would do the job nicely.
I was so fed up of muslining after my trousers (more on them later) I just cut it straight out.  A bit of a gamble as really its a size too big at the bust and a size too small at the hips.  I checked that my hips would get in the dress by laying a skirt pattern I know fits over the dress pattern and hoped the top wouldn't be too baggy.
And I love it! Its one of the best things I've made in ages, I've worn it lots already.  I don't think it looks like a sleeping bag at all.
It fits perfectly, I can wear it with a jumper or t-shirt underneath if its cold and I think it looks quite unique.
The pattern envelope warns that "dress has very narrow bottom width (which may restrict walking)" but I haven't found it to be a problem.
I've got a couple more lengths of similar fabric so I might make another one and I've got my eyes peeled for similar patterns from the same era.
It was just the right thing to get me going on the trousers project...

Comments

Popular Posts