Navy Suit Part 3 - Vogue 1707

The vest is complete!  And I've saved myself over £2500 (or at least that's my story).
Pinterest must have known I was making Vogue 1707 because this showed up in my feed.

"Would you have paid £2586 for it?" asked Mr B
"That's not the point"
The inspiration for the Vogue pattern must be this dress from Givenchy's Spring/Summer 20 ready to wear collection. The only differences are that the Givenchy version has real flap pockets and a back vent, two relatively easy additions if you wanted to recreate the original. I did consider a back vent before I cut it out and kind of wish I'd added it.
It took a little while longer than I had anticipated, mainly due to lack of energy on my part. 
I'm really pleased with my inseam buttonholes (both the result and the fact I figured out how to do it with no help from google). I can see the pattern has the buttons placed as the original Givenchy dress has but I honestly think mine are better!
When the instructions have you baste the skirt and lining together I first placed them right sides together and sewed a rectangle above the buttonhole placement markings 1" long and 5/8" deep. I used lightweight interfacing to reinforce on both sides.
I then clipped, trimmed and turned the right way out.
If I were to do this again I would stitch the front seams first as doing both together meant I couldn't understitch all the way to the waist seam, but that's how you learn. Then you stitch the bodice on as per the instructions carefully stopping and starting at the edges of the gap (I also added a strip of interfacing to the bottom of the bodice to strengthen it).
It looks really smart on the inside too.
The fit is good, making the adjustments was worth while although I think if I wanted to wear it as a dress I might size down.
It looks a little big around the hips but I'm wearing it with leggings and allowed extra ease for wearing over the trousers (which for some reason I'm struggling to make myself start).
I love the lining fabric but slightly regret not choosing something a little more matchy as it peeks out a little.
I think its the thought of sorting out a fly facing that's slowing me down on the trouser front but I know I'll be annoyed if I don't make the effort...



Comments

Popular Posts