Belinda Bellville Dress Part 2 - Vogue 2771

It's finished! Well actually I finished it a month ago but things have been a bit strange since.
I decided to go with the skirt length as designed, I didn't have enough fabric to go longer, and shorten the sleeves to just above my wrists.
This fabric was so beautiful to sew, it pressed brilliantly, but every time I cut it it exploded teal fluff which I'm still finding nearly a month later!
The top stitching that I had been so nervous about went fine and because of the quality of the fabric the seam lines are so neat.
I did do a small small bust adjustment but no other changes - I possibly could do with more hip room but I couldn't figure out how to do this without making a lot more work for myself.
And this project was a lot of work! I spent hours hand basting the interlining to the outer fabric (and I've technically cut the dress out three times) and was totally fed up of the whole thing but actually it came together relatively quickly once I started machine sewing.
I've always struggled to ease the fullness of a deep hem in properly but now I realise that its so much easier when working with wool! Lots of steam (I placed card between the hem and the skirt, you can see a faint mark in the photo below) and the fullness disappears!
If I ever need/want to make something fancy in future I'll definitely splash out on wool. I've had this fabric quite some time, it wasn't quite how I imagined when I bought it, a fantastic eBay bargain.
You can see in the back view the hand picked zip (which added to the hours that went in to the dress).
I'll let you in to a secret - I haven't actually hemmed it properly, its just basted! I will hem it at some point but I think its unlikely I'll wear it anytime soon. Its fits perfectly well but I don't have the range of motion around my arms that I need for writing on a board so it won't work for work and I think it will be quite warm to wear. This was always more about pushing my skills further and I think I've achieved that!
My next sew (already finished) is a lot more practical.

Comments

Popular Posts