Denim Skirt - New Look 6107

After seeing the Rachel Comey jumpsuit I fancied making something a bit easier!
I have a much loved corduroy skirt that I made out of the remaining fabric from a dress.  There wasn't really enough to make it so the seam allowances are small.
Sadly the fabric is starting to rip, especially by the zip, so I don't think it will last much longer.  Time for a replacement.  I usually sew basic skirts using Style 2888 but I thought I'd try out a new pattern.  I've had New Look 6107 in my collection for a while but no fabric.  Boyes, a local store that sells pretty much everything, has started stocking more dress making fabrics lately so I thought I'd see what they had.  I found a lovely denim which was a little pricey (£9.75 per metre) but the advantage of buying in person is you can buy in 0.1m increments - I bought 0.9m kind of giving myself a 10% discount!
I cut a straight size 14 as I couldn't be bothered with fitting. I had a issues with the zip insertion which were of my own making.  Basically I don't like lapped zippers, I think this stems back to my teenage years when, in my eyes, the lapped zips on my clothing were marking them out as homemade*. So I rarely put one in (I much prefer concealed or hand picked) but it seemed the right choice for the denim (which I don't think I've ever sewn with before). What I should have done was basted it in, but I didn't.  Lesson learned, zip taken out and redone.
Other than the zip it was a really easy make!  I didn't line this one but you could easily add a lining.
Here's the two patterns side by side.
The main difference is the waistband, I think with a few fitting tweaks the New Look one will be just as good as the Style one!
I think I can get a skirt from 0.8m if the fabric is 60" wide, especially if I use different fabric for the facing as I did here.
Do you have any go to patterns? I've made the Style pattern well over 20 times I think!

* this was definitely all in my head - my Mother is a truly excellent seamstress and no non-sewers notice what type of zip you have in your school skirt!

Comments

Popular Posts